Monday, January 24, 2011

New Airgunners- Want a first rifle? How much do I want to spend?

If you are new to airguns, or wanting to buy an airgun, maybe I can help.

There are several things to consider when making a new purchase, how much to spend is just one of them. Not the most important though.

I could go quite a long time answering it too, so here is a short answer. Value for money. I once bought a low cost chinese rifle. I think it was the QB18. It was cool, until I found that the barrel would drop about a quarter inch when I shot it. It was a break barrel and the force of the spring would cause the lock up mechanism fail.

My current fave is the Gamo Big Cat 1200 air rifle. Made in Spain and to me the build quality is very nice and very tight. Several thousand shots and no problems. But I could have gone a step further and boughtDiana RWS 34P air rifle air rifle a German made rifle that is wonderfully crafted and caries a warranty thats considered the best in the business. The price is slightly higher, but quality is robust.

Some people like to tinker and buy low cost air guns to modify. The Crosman 2240 Single Shot Bolt Action CO2 Powered Pistol is a very popular choice here. With the added stock from Crosman, you can easily convert it to a rifle. Then tons of add ons are out there to buy.

But, the question is how much do you want to spend? My suggestion for a first time air gun is to purchase a good quality, well built rifle. Let this be the one that lasts you a life time. One of the finest air rifles made is the Air Arms TX200 HC. This rifle boast an Anti recoil mechanism, beautiful wood, and fine craftsmanship, and deadly accurate. This will last you a life time. But over $500? You betcha. You get what you pay for. And I bet in 20 years, it will still be worth over $500.

Check the reviews before you buy. As for the Chinese rifles, I am sure that they are stepping up the quality. I think that the Tech Force TF78 Gold Series air rifle air rifle would be the best example. Add ons galore, but still the end cost is going up.

My next choice is going to be either the Diana RWS 34P Striker Combo air rifle or the UMAREX RWS - Model 350 P Magnum .22 Caliber Md: 216-6462.

Happy shooting every one.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty sure the TX200HC is not a recoiless air rifle, but a fine air rifle though.
    Personally for the price I would rather have a used Feinwerkbau 124D.
    You can usually find one in good condition for about $400 and one that has had a fresh tune (seal and spring) for around $500+.
    I have had mine for 27 years and it is better today than it was back in 1984.
    I paid $225 for it in 1984 and to me it is worth $850 today with the Beeman/Hakko 2-7X32 scope, sling, leather case and webley pro system moderator.
    Quality air guns always retain their value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting. The nicest one I have today is the old rws side lever. Made in the old Germany.

    ReplyDelete